Mojeek Modern UI Mockup

Hello folks!

I would like to share the mockup designs I have been working for a while now, as showing my ideas/thoughts visually is better than trying to explain it (which I did here).

Homepage (Re-thinked where Mojeek logo can be presented, making the experience more consistent. Because as users search from the homepage, the results are shown in the results page, where the Mojeek logo is also on the left side of the search bar, similar to this mockup homepage):

Search results page (Aimed at curving out the edges and giving Mojeek a well designed/modern feel, neatly incorporating results numbering in the left as a lighter transition from the main results background; same goes to the News results pop up on the right, neatly transitioning in the bottom from the infobox. This design also improves the usability of Mojeek, as there is a dedicated search result bubble inside the grey background for every search result and more given information for that search result.) :

The attached images above are the mockups I have been working on, trying to implement a modern(ly) designed UI for Mojeek, though please do note that the font used across the whole design is pretty much inconsistent as I couldn’t find out what font Mojeek really uses.

Having said that, I have also incorporated the results numbering idea from @mike’s post.

The goal here is to massively improve the user experience of Mojeek, making it feel more up to date/in-line with the other search engines in-terms of how updated/modern it feels, in-fact it is probably a lot more modern than even the UI Google or Bing uses as the mockup design I have implemented is a lot more consistent overall.

I would also like to take this as an opportunity to get my message out: Please make this one of the top priorities in the to-do list, as I am sure that the design team can take this as an advantage and even re-think some aspects of Mojeek’s UI and improve it massively. As someone who has shared Mojeek with a lot of people inside my known circle, I can tell you folks that one of the major feedback was the dissatisfaction with Mojeek’s current old-school UI itself, this post is aimed at tackling that.

Thank you!
cc: @Colin @Tom

4 Likes

There’s definitely going to be something a bit more fleshed-out than this, but by way of a compliment it’s pretty clear that you have experience on the design side. We’ve for sure got a bunch of things which we need to get out that have been spinning which are ahead of any UI revisits, but it’s always good to gather up ideas ahead of it!

2 Likes

I am sorry to be so blunt and direct, but I think Mojeek design should be more profoundly and thoughtfully revised.

I really believe that Mojeek deserves a more appealing and ergonomic UI/UX, and unfortunately the current one is very limited and flat.

As a starting point, I think it would be nice to give users the possibility of injecting their own CSS modifications, as Kagi does.

In the next six months I am graduating, and therefore my plate is quite full, but I would be glad to apply for an internship or a part-time job to coordinate/participate in a global redesign.

Once again, I think Mojeek really needs and deserves it.

2 Likes

Hi @tommi, thanks for sharing your thoughts and we would agree. It would be great to work on the design/UX/UI. Right now we are focussed on completing some new products, as well as the engine. The idea of injecting CSS is a good one; short of accounts that would need to be cookie based. Keep in touch, we will come back to this.

1 Like

Hi @tommi,

Thanks for the feedback, always good to hear from our users!

As @Colin say’s we’re working on some new products, however in the meantime, you could consider using https://www.userchrome.org/ if you’re using Firefox. I’ve not used it with forks of Firefox but have with the main version and it works really well.

Any questions let me know.

Thanks,
Ash

2 Likes

except for pre-fabricated snippets (either on or off) i suspect that’s a potential disaster

• user injects CSS, forgets about it, Mojeek changes selectors, page breaks
  • user injects CSS, unintentionally hides desired content, then complains to Mojeek about missing feature/etc.
  • etc…

something like Stylus would be a better solution for this IMHO