Will Mojeek Support Search Suggestions

If I install Chrome and start typing in the omnibox, I will get search suggestions from Google.

I know it is a privacy issue. But has Mojeek considered supporting search suggestions?

For example, the settings in Vivaldi allow you to add a suggest URL.


Maybe there could be a suggest.mojeek.com which had a search plugin that included suggestions. In this way, users could opt into suggestions.

1 Like

Not during my tenure; no such thing as a bad idea, or one that shouldn’t be looked at, so I’ll raise it :pray:

1 Like

For the moment, this is a feature we’d love to add in, but it’s a difficult one.

The Google implementation, for example, is based upon a very large volume of past queries, so in order for this to work at the moment for us we’d have to use a 3rd party API. Doing this would come with a fair few issues of its own.

Rest assured we’re keeping it in mind.

1 Like

Sounds good. Thanks for looking into it.

1 Like

Any updates on this?

We have been reviewing our priorities again, and notably after the large survey over the last few months. It’s not a feature that many have requested there and through other channels, so other developments have taken priority. Of course, if it was a quick-win and without the issues Josh mentioned above, it could be different.

1 Like

Maybe with a LLM it’s possible to suggest okay-ish queries without relying on a third party?

1 Like

Welcome @B_Lurry

I have not looked at this issue in a while.

Since I originally posted, Mojeek began testing a ā€œrelated queriesā€ feature.

That is based on LLM generated suggestions. And, I’m guessing it would be the basis for search suggestions if Mojeek offers that feature in the future.

You can read more, and test the feature by manually adding a custom cookie to your browser:


@Colin

As a sidenote, while researching this issue, I noticed that Nvidia acquired Mojeek’s LLM host, Lepton, in April.

What effect do you think the acquisition will have on privacy and cost?

@mike because of this we have very recently switched to using Mistral direct, rather than Mistral on Lepton.

2 Likes

Any updates on suggestions? I cannot believe people are not missing them, they can prevent 90% of my typos and save a lot of time. I currently use Waterfox with Mojeek as the default search engine in the address bar (it’s that time of the year when I give Mojeek another chance…) and I don’t know where it pulls the suggestions from but I LOVE that I can finally use Mojeek with suggested searches. I feel very strongly about search suggestions, they are such a basic feature it’s hard to imagine Mojeek succeed without them.

On the plus side, I’ve done a few searches from my laptop today and saw ads multiple times, which is great and makes me hopeful about the financial security of Mojeek. Last but not least (sorry this is ending up being a feedback dump) the Mojeek mobile app really needs an ā€˜x’ button in the input field to clear the previous query :smiley:

We’ve definitely been busy @sqrl so thanks for the love :blush:
The product ads are working well as something which hopefully adds value. Have you updated to the latest app which had a number of improvements? A big update to query relevance will hopefully rollout in the next few weeks so watch this space!

1 Like