US Hospital Price Comparison Tool

I was recently looking for a price comparison tool for medical procedures in the United States. Hospitals were recently required to start publishing their prices. But the one comparison tool I found did not work in my area.

The price data are mandated to be machine-readable. So, I thought this might be of interest to Mojeek.

If Mojeek created a search function that recognized when someone was searching for medical procedures and offered to compare prices, I think that would be helpful and unique.

There are a lot of problems with the U.S. health care system in general and with this idea specifically. But I thought a fair trade-off would be to limit the ingested data to the public, machine-readable data published by the hospitals under the recent rule; and to warn about known pitfalls like not getting credit for out-of-pocket expenses when paying “cash prices” and out-of-date or incomplete price estimates.

But, overall, I think consumers can benefit from a quick way to compare the available data. And Mojeek can benefit from additional searches.

Mike

References

1 Like

Mike is on to something here. It would be unique and helpful since US healthcare is so Byzantine.

That indeed sounds like an important and worthwhile problem to solve. And where there is opportunity. I had a business with offices in California and Texas betwen 1991 and 2005 so am somewaht aware of the costs/damage/issues. I’ll bet it’s not improved. It’s probably too narrow for Mojeek to want to tackle alone, and given other priorities. Possibly a good opportunity for a startup to tackle head-on and work with us; probably as an API customer/partner. Machine readable can cover a lot of ways and formats, so level of homogeneity matters (more) to us. I don’t suppose everyone is using the same schema.

In connection with that NBC Bay Area television segment, there is a small company that offers some information. But it is focused on California: probably because of limited money.

1 Like

Interesting. This is the sort of challenge where it makes sense to start on a niche; so covering just California is likely a good way to get started. A big enough market to suceed with and then scale up. It’s a data challenge led by a data scientist so they look like a credible team. Crawling/scraping will be just one of their challenges in collecting data.

1 Like