Search in domain (operator)

I noticed that I regularly click through to other search engines when I search for a particular website. This is mostly because I can’t find what I look for in Mojeek.

For instance: when I hear about an organization or company and search their website by entering their name into Mojeek.

In all other search engines, I’ll easily find the organization’s website. If not, I usually only have to add a term about what they do or where they’re located to get to the website of the organization I’m looking for. This doesn’t work in Mojeek since Mojeek’s results are vastly different from the other search engines. Even when the website of the company is just the name + TLD, I might not find it in Mojeek. Would this have to do with the fact that the name of the company is one of multiple regular words that are used more in other websites? I have no idea.

I was thinking that perhaps I would be helped out if I would be able to better search for what website I would need to find my information. If I know what website I need, I could then use the “site” operator to narrow down my search. Sometimes I think that my search would produce more helpful results if I could tell Mojeek to give me the results of websites with a keyword in the domain.

So basically, I’m missing an “indomain” operator. This would be an operator that works like the “inurl” one, where I can enter one or more keywords that I would like the results to have in the domain.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @Videonas, I can definitely see that if a domain operator was workable it might solve this (providing the user knew it existed) in specific cases. The worry here though is that this method wouldn’t scale very well when it comes to fixing these problems for Mojeek users as a whole.

Our experience is that, in general, Mojeek does good with navigational searches, but with some newer or less-common words we can fall down. What would be massively useful here is specific feedback when you are unable to find a website from that kind of search, as this will allow us to look at the ones which are not working in a more holistic sense, and identify better what is going on. We could just not have the website due to not discovering it or through being blocked, or we could also not be working well for getting you there from that navigational search.

In the spirit of working towards an overall fix, if you have any examples you’d like to share here, via DM, using the submit feedback on pages or via /about/contact then I’ll happily raise it so we can start investigating.

1 Like