Option to include preferred domains that are used for all searches

Hi! I’ve been using Mojeek for some months and I like it quite a bit. I have an issue though which makes me reach for alternative search engines more than I would like to.

I work as a software developer; there are a few sites which I would like to rank higher in my search results or even include as if I had used " site:learn.microsoft.com site:mdn.com site:github.com site:wikipedia.org site:*" and that would influence the ranking of my results such that my preferred documentation sources appear first. Then I don’t have to type out eg site:github.com just because a good bug report might appear there. I would not miss secondary sources such as blogs.

The issue is that many sites with cookie banners & advertisments in combination with non primary information sources often appear high in my search results. I do not desire those to rank very high when I know that a framework or programming language maker is very reputable and include the information that I need.

Simply adding the sites to my query template in the browser might be workable but I would still like to get broad results for more obscure queries. The wildcard that I used in the example is not documented to have any meaning with Mojeek. I was checking here. Thanks again for a neat search engine.

Regards

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Axel.

It is very possible that Focus would be a useful tool in undertaking these kinds of searches. It’s our tool which allows you to select the sites to search across (and aspects of them to exclude) and can be put to good use when it comes to this particular kind of task.

If you do build a programming one then I’d be very interested to know what is included in it. They are backed up / shared using buttons in the Dashboard.

Wildcards can be used with * - take a look at: https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=“wooden+*+legs” for example.

1 Like