Mojeek configuration in Firefox

I just setup Mojeek as my default search engine on Firefox desktop. And I’m wondering if it is possible to configure Mojeek/Firefox to use certain configuration parameters, without using cookies.
I always delete cookies and I rather not configure exceptions for all of my Windows devices.
Or is my best option to configure Mojeek + url parameters as my homepage. And try to forget about using the Firefox search bar?

1 Like

Welcome @uberprutser.

If you use the Cookieless URL when adding the custom search engine in, these settings should work. Firefox has changed/removed the way you used to be add a custom search engine in, but it’s still there if you know where to look.

1. Head to about:config in Firefox and paste in browser.urlbar.update2.engineAliasRefresh

1. On the right-hand side click the plus button and this should now set engineAliasRefresh to true

1. Head back to Mojeek Preferences and build your custom cookieless URL; once you’ve used it perform a search and replace the search query with %s

1. Take the resulting URL to about:settings and use it in the process of setting up a custom search engine

1. Search!

I used these steps with a URL that was quite slim and they worked well. I’ve now switched over to my whole set of Preferences as a Cookieless Custom Search in the same way. I will be checking if anything is amiss, but this should work fine.

Please let me know if you find any issues or have trouble setting this up.

How long has this been a thing?!

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you; in my experience when Firefox changes things they keep the old settings around but nested somewhere.

It took a bit of digging my side to find where it had been chucked :cry:

1 Like

just a couple tips…

• the UI to add search engines doesn’t provide a way to set an icon yet (i believe this feature is still being developed) - see Search Engines Helper if you want this functionality (you can also edit search.json.mozlz4 but it’s easier to use the helper add-on)
  • custom prefs are best placed in a user.js file
1 Like

I’m trying to follow, but got lost at step 3 :frowning:

If you head to Search Settings - Mojeek there is a box on the right-hand side:

The circled red box here is where the cookieless URL is built. It reacts to whatever settings you’ve chosen on the tabs up top.

When you’re doing changing things you should take this URL, i.e.

https://www.mojeek.com/?qss=Brave,DuckDuckGo,Ecosia,Google,Lilo,Metager,Qwant,Startpage,Swisscows,Yandex,Yep,You&theme=dark&arc=gb&qsba=1

and paste it into your URL bar; this will take you to a Mojeek homepage with those settings. Now perform a search for something simple like “hello” and copy the resulting URL.

https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=hello&theme=dark&arc=gb&qsba=1&qss=Brave%2CDuckDuckGo%2CEcosia%2CGoogle%2CLilo%2CMetager%2CQwant%2CStartpage%2CSwisscows%2CYandex%2CYep%2CYou

Now you replace that query (here “hello”) with “%s”, giving you a cookieless URL that your browser can use to give you all of those settings but without any cookies. You now follow the rest of the steps to add this in.

Let me know if that wasn’t quite what you needed :grinning: