Microsoft Bing issue takes down Copilot, DuckDuckGo, and ChatGPT search features

Search capabilities for ChatGPT, Copilot, DuckDuckGo, and other platforms aren’t working properly right now due to a Microsoft outage that appears to be related to the Bing application programming interface (API). Sites and services are either completely unavailable or only intermittently responding at the time of publication.

A day where many are coming to know about dependencies :smile:

2 Likes

The pattern I’m seeing on my Mastodon timeline is people already using DDG and Bing are more receptive to trying Mojeek. They have already moved away from Google so they are more receptive to trying an alternative like Mojeek.

It makes sense when I see it, but I never thought about it that way, I’ve always been trying to lure Google users to Mojeek, but the DDG user is already half-sold on the need for alternatives with privacy.

5 Likes

I can’t say I noticed a thing.

That’s how I ended up here.

This deserves its own comment: Bing outage shows just how little competition Google search really has | Ars Technica

It would be much harder to know what exists beyond “GBY” (Google, Bing, Yandex) and how it all works without the work of Rohan “Seirdy” Kumar. For three years, Kumar has been updating a heavily annotated list of search engines with their own indexes. It is 7,000 words, but only a portion of it deals with engines offering general indexing, in the English language. You can read Kumar’s evaluation methodology for a better understanding of how he compared and assessed sites.

What stands out? Mojeek (“it’s not bad… I’d live”) and Stract (“a useful supplement to more major engines”) are two of Kumar’s favorites.

Both Seirdy and Mojeek are in Ars today!

4 Likes

That article is deserving of that and considerably more; I see it shared around quite a bit on fedi (and have done so myself).

It’s rare to encounter someone talking about search who has actually done the research, most just pull from other sources which in turn are just taken from what companies themselves have put on their webpages. There is for sure a good reason to occlude being a Bing meta :smile:

1 Like

And ddg now has darkmode too I really like ddg but im more in love with the browser more than the engine. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like