IPv6 support

Hello,
it would be nice if you could provide IPv6 support for mojeek.
kind regards
Pentium4User

1 Like

Welcome @Pentium4User and thanks for the suggestion, we agree that it’s something we should look into so we will.

1 Like

Logged in just to bump this thread. Yep, it’s 2022 why no IPv6?
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Interesting to see on there how far France has got with this.

It’s a good point and it’s something we’ll look into in terms of workload etc. thanks for raising it.

A few ISPs have made it impossible to opt-out of IPV6. Free did this and and tried to use it in marketing claiming 99% IPV6 coverage. When one ISP does something, the others follow suite.

Competition is good (I can literally call up my ISP and be like, “you guys are expensive, the other guys are cheaper” and they’ll try and do something to keep me on their network.)

There is no reason to opt out from IPv6. There is a huge reason to implement it and shut down IPv4 instead.

2 Likes

Agreed. I believe they (Free) originally had an opt-out option but nobody was opting out.

Any update on this? I’ve gone IPv6 only, and so I can’t access IPv4-only websites anymore. I did this by choice and I could use workarounds if I wanted. But there are huge benefits to making your internal network IPv6-only (with support for IPv4 translation at the edge). This goes for people with a home lab and also for websites like the Mojeek. Even if it’s not worth it for you to make the internal network IPv6-only, it’d still be nice if you could accept IPv6 connections at the edge for users :slightly_smiling_face:

With many ISPs now making some connections IPv6-only (especially cellular) and relying on patched-in translators to still allow connections to outdated websites, and many putting users behing carrier-grade NAT, which can also lead to unstable connections (I’m guessing because of congestion) which actually leads to issues for some people, particularly on bandwidth heavy websites like Twitch (which also hasn’t bothered to support the current internet protocol), I think it’s just the right thing to do.

Also, with the increasing popularity of IPv6-only websites, and IPv6-only networks, which are only going to increase now that AWS has started charging extra for public IPv4 addresses (they’re more expensive than domains!) for all use cases, there’s going to be an increasing amount of content, albeit currently very small, that Mojeek won’t be able to crawl, assuming the crawlers also operate only on IPv4.

So, IPv6 support… If not now… when?

1 Like

We’ve scoped this out, there’s an issue raised for it, so it’s just a case of when that piece of work ends up being prioritised. There are a fair few things ongoing at the moment, but noted on the above.