Search Choices - Your Input Sought

Hi @Seirdy, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Your points understood and well made. I think the solution is probably to have an option in Search Choices where you can define any search URL (and icon URL). This would provide both flexibility and user control at the expense of reduced user accessibility, for some.

Itā€™s been enough time using this Iā€™ll offer some feedback.

1. Best thing ever. Before, when I was about to do a search and Mojeek was my default, I would self censor some searches that I thought would be too complex for Mojeek and send those to DDG. Because of time constraints. Now I just throw everything at Mojeek first because there is backup.

2. Rabbit hole. This may only be me, but Search Choices is like putting a flight of micro-brewed beers in front of me. I now do the Mojeek search, but then I just have to compare it to a couple of others which leads me down a rabbit hole. Great fun exploring but man can I waste time.

2 Likes

I do the same thing where I now start on Mojeek and use DuckDuckGo as my alternate. I use this especially when playing freerice.com on hard.

2 Likes

This is great to hear; if anything comes up around Search Choices which anybody thinks would make it better, add more functionality etc. then please donā€™t hesitate to share.

Does Mojeek want to add mapping in the future?

Itā€™s something which has definitely been discussed, Iā€™m guessing that would be a very useful one for you @mike?

I donā€™t use maps often. But one of the reasons I leave Mojeek is for map data.

2 Likes

Same here. Itā€™s the one reason DDG is default on my smartphone. Itā€™s just handy to see where a business is located on a map yet I donā€™t need turn by turn navigation since I already have that with an app that came with the phone.

• Right Dao - a centralized index
  • YaCy - decentralized index with a demo available
  • Alexandria - a very new, centralized meta/index - i contacted them and you can read our exchange here

none of the above offer great results at the moment, however i think they are all worth watching - at the least i think Right Dao would make a decent addition to the current 3rd party options

1 Like