@mike Feedback

Can you check if this is still happening? I have this page as Crawled Today and it seems fixed.

EDIT: Yep, can confirm here, a fix from a few weeks ago has managed to get round to making this work properly.

1 Like

It is working for me too. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Focus Share Button

I had a problem with my search results. So I clicked on the Feedback button. And this URL was returned as part of my submission:

https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=survive&foc=Define

The URL contains my search term and the name of the Focus engine. But it does not provide any details about my Focus engine. Not knowing the parameters of my Focus engine (like what sites are included) makes it difficult for @Josh to respond to Web feedback which includes a Focus engine.

Question

Is it possible to include a share button as part of the Focus search results?

So if I typically see this URL when using Focus:

https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=survive&foc=Define

then clicking the share button would produce the following text in some modal field or offer to populate my clipboard.

https://www.mojeek.com/search?q=survive+site%3Amerriam-webster.com

This would allow me to share my search results in a standard way.

And this URL could be used in the feedback form instead of including the Focus parameter.

I’m not sure how site clustering would differ between these two URLs. And a share button might create a JavaScript requirement in the browser.

1 Like

Keyboard Navigation

From mojeek.com, I expect to type search terms and then use the keyboard arrow keys to navigate to the Focus engine.

Screen capture of Mojeek.com where the Focus engines are showing. I have an arrow pointing to the engine I would like to select using the keyboard.

I noticed that in Firefox I can press Tab to navigate between UI elements. But this is cumbersome.

An example where something like this works is the Firefox address bar where left and right move the cursor within the search terms and up and down change the selected search engine.

Demo of Firefox address bar.

Demonstration of using the keyboard to navigate the Firefox address bar. Left and right change the position of the cursor within the entered text. And up and down change the current search engine.

One problem is I am not sure how a solution like the Firefox address bar would interact with autofill or typed history in various Web browsers.

1 Like

Raised on both accounts. For the moment with the first point: with a smaller testing group, sharing is not so bad providing the person doing the sharing is comfortable with letting me know what a Focus contains, but you’re completely right on this being something that would be much better if Submit interacted with it.

EDIT: on the tabbing point also, we made version one of Focus as simple as possible, relying upon no JavaScript; our planned developments going forward will not be so tied to this.

1 Like

Focus Search Operator

It would be useful to trigger Focus from a search operator.

This would let me type and execute my search without a mouse click.

demonstration of focus search operator at mojeek dot com

Earlier, I mentioned it is difficult to integrate Focus into the web browser. There, I mentioned creating a custom search engine or publishing OpenSearch plugins.

But, by using a search operator, I could use the search built into the web browser without any modification. I would just have to include the Focus operator in a standard Mojeek search box.

demonstration of focus search operator in web browser search bar

1 Like

Cheers for this one @mike, and for illustrating it there. I’ve raised it as a suggestion.

Focus Widget Bug

There is a minor bug with the Focus widget.

The widget offers to remove sites from the default template. You can see this after searching with a default template.

But the default templates are read-only. This should be acknowledged in the user interface.

There are three ways to go:

1. Report that the default templates are read-only.
  2. Offer to create a new Focus engine.
  3. Silently create a new Focus engine and remove the site.

I think a simple error message is the least confusing and makes the fewest assumptions.

Mike

1 Like

Thanks for this one @mike as well as the useful suggestions, it has been raised and we’ll sort it out.

1 Like