Critical Thinking

Critical thinking is an important part of an informed public.

What advice do you have to share about critical thinking?

1 Like

Critical thinking requires curiosity and empathy.

There is no one thing which can be relied on. Generally, if you can respect the views of others, argue with scientifically valid claims, and uncover exploitation then that counts as critical thought regardless of the amount of effort that goes in.

There are some things which have helped me over the years:

Mike

2 Likes

One difficult thing in relation to critical thinking is conversation itself. I find it difficult sometimes. Not only when disagreeing with someone, but also when agreeing.

So, my little advice is, in order to respect the views of others and keep the conversation going, never agree with someone by saying, ā€œI knowā€. Try to say something encouraging like, ā€œyouā€™re right.ā€ It opens them up to continue sharing.

2 Likes

I had a brief period last year where, due to the You Are Not So Smart podcast (which is perpetually a humbling reminder of how much of human thinking is heuristics and biases), I read up a lot on standpoint epistemology - wherein people try to ascertain how a view was formed by an individual through a series of pretty non-confrontational questions. This is a long and roundabout way of saying that I believe one essential tool for thinking critically is to deeply understand how your own history, beliefs etc. can affect your judgement.

I took Behavioural Economics towards the end of my degree, so Iā€™d be remiss not to mention Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman, which does a great job of outlining some of the human deviations from rationality which occur due to heuristics and biases. Although the book had a recent reckoning due to the integrity of the studies when they were performed, a good amount of it has been replicated (there or thereabouts) since.

Recently reread Itā€™s All Over which touches a little on this train of thought, in a roundabout way,

There are memes circulating that are known as ā€œbingo cards,ā€ in which each square is filled with a typical statement or trait of a person who belongs to a given constituency, a mouth-breathing momā€™s-basement-dwelling Reddit-using Menā€™s Rights Activist, for example, or, say, an unctuous white male ally of POC feminism. The idea is that within this grid there is an exhaustive and as it were a priori tabulation, deduced like Kantā€™s categories of the understanding, of all the possible moves a member of one of these groups might make, and whenever the poor sap tries to state his considered view, his opponent need only pull out the table and point to the corresponding box, thus revealing to him that it is not actually a considered view at all, but only an algorithmically predictable bit of output from the particular program he is running. The sap is sapped of his subjectivity, of his belief that he, properly speaking, has views at all.

Even someone who is the definition of a ā€œcritical thinkerā€ can find themselves being called a sheep.

(It also made me realise that if someone were to trick folks into creating their own personal bingo cards and sharing them on Twitter, it would be a gold mind for data brokers.)

1 Like

donā€™t believe anything you hear or read and only half of what you see

thatā€™s something my father told me and it took me a very long time to appreciate what he meant by that - in other words, vet and verify everything for yourself

we have been lied to all of our lives by the media, our schools, our governments and in the process our potential as human beings has been robbed from us

iā€™ve been researching a very wide variety of subjects in excess of 20 years and iā€™ve learned a few general things in that time; 1, we are ALL idiots, myself included - we know far less than we think we do, 2, the world does not work the way most of us think it does - everything is upside down and backwards

the suggestion was made to base your beliefs on science - in a well functioning society that would be fine, but we do not live in that world

ā€œThe case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.ā€ ā€“ Dr. Richard Horton, Editor in Chief of The Lancet, one of the worlds most respected, peer-reviewed medical journals, 2015 (source)

the mainstream media cannot be trusted at all - this includes television, radio, print and the web - virtually all mainstream media companies are now owned by a handful of powerful corporations which are in bed with the intelligence community and have been for a very long time

all of mainstream media is heavily influenced by government and advertisers, particularly defense contractors and pharmaceutical companies - whether itā€™s PBS, NPR, BBC, 60 Minutes, etc., it does not matter

all of the mainstream ā€œfact checkersā€ which iā€™m aware of are useless, as is Wikipedia regarding anything politically sensitive - often the only value in Wikipedia is the external links they provide

i think most of the alternative media on the web is at least as bad as the mainstream media, however itā€™s also perhaps the last place where the truth is readily accessible - anyone interested in some of the resources iā€™ve collected over the years, see here

i think a few of the biggest obstacles to critical thinking areā€¦

1. inability to think for ones self
  2. closed mindedness, biases
  3. failure to research, failure to research absent confirmation bias
  4. ego - failure to entertain viewpoints which challenge ones concrete beliefs
  5. failure to accept that we are orders of magnitude from perfection

i canā€™t say iā€™m as open minded as iā€™d like to be, and iā€™m certainly not unbiased (iā€™m human), but i can force myself to be open minded enough to consider information that challenges my core beliefs

for example, i actually forced myself to look into flat earth theory one day (yes, this is a thing now) - if the earth isnā€™t flat, then i had nothing to lose, and if the evidence supported it, then i had everything to gain

needless to say, i gained nothing, but the important point is that i was willing (barely, admittedly) to consider information which challenged my beliefs

one cannot reach accurate conclusions without considering all of the evidence, no matter how far fetched it may seem

hereā€™s a critical thinking testā€¦ what if i told you that there is no proof that viruses exist? that no virus has ever been properly isolated/purified according the most basic standards (Kochā€™s/Riversā€™ postulates)? that it has never been proven that a virus can be transmitted?

your initial reaction might be that iā€™m a missing more than a few screws, but am i? are you willing to challenge your current beliefs?

iā€™ll end with the same quote i started with because itā€™s so very importantā€¦

donā€™t believe anything you hear or read and only half of what you see

I think if the average person writes off science as an opinion or a tool for the opposition then they are making a grave mistake.

There are legitimate problems with science. Science is performed by fallible people. The replication crisis. Racism. And sexism.

But when someone says to themselves, ā€œI wish we knew the answer to [fill in the blank],ā€ that is what scientific consensus is. Science makes factual statements about the physical world.

When people attack science or create doubt, it is often for short-term financial gain. It is important to understand that creating doubt is the main tool in the toolbox for people who have something to gain at your expense.

If a person has written off science then I challenge that person to investigate the motivation of scientists. What evidence do scientists have? What is the scientific consensus on a particular issue?

Most ordinary people have something to gain from improved health, a clean environment, and an increased standard of living. These are the tangible benefits from science and science-based medicine.

1 Like

Thanks for your input Mike - i donā€™t disagree and iā€™m not suggesting that people disregard science - my point is that the field is far more corrupt than most people probably realize and that one needs to know what to look for when evaluating a study (p values, conflicts, sample sizes, reproducibility (which often never happens), etc.) in order to determine its validity

funding is a huge problem - if, for example, a pharma company funds a study for an upcoming product and the science doesnā€™t produce positive/expected results, then that university/lab/etc. is subject to having its funding cut and careers are subject to being destroyed - there are many clear examples of this regarding climate and pharma science for example where favorable results are published at a much higher frequency than unfavorable results

another problem with funding is that many subjects that ought to be studied, never are, because thereā€™s no financial benefit in funding them

then thereā€™s the political influence which by itself is a massive problem - the Lancet hydroxychloroquine study which was retracted is a prime example of how deep corruption, criminal negligence and politics is rooted in science

the CRU data leak is another significant example of conflicts of interest, manufactured ā€œscientificā€ consensus, and politics driving science

when the editor of one of the most trusted medical journals on the planet tells us that potentially half of scientific studies are essentially garbage, this is not something a critical thinker should be ignoring (and iā€™m not suggesting you are, just sayinā€™)

1 Like

It is not clear to me why the tanker does not deliver the water directly to the people instead of dumping it in a well.

1 Like

This seems like a distinct lack of critical thinking; given the desperate situation of the people getting the water, maybe distribution would be an issue. There has to be a better way there though, just dumping straight into the ground for it to get pulled back out, and with the safety issues present due to the system.

1 Like

A short series on bias.

Pulling the Thread is a digital documentary series and engagement campaign that unravels some of Americaā€™s most popular conspiracy theories and reveals the emotional, cognitive, and social forces that lead rational people to believe irrational things. Produced by the award-winning Kindling Group and ITVS, the project doesnā€™t tell people what to think, but pushes us to examine how we think ā€” why conspiracy theories are so alluring, how baseless rumors undermine trust and democracy ā€” and what we can all do about it.

it is obvious to me from reading your posts here that youā€™re quite a smart guy mike, but i get the impression that youā€™re also what James Corbett would call a ā€œnormieā€ and i mean no disrespect when i use that term

i never bothered to figure out when the phrase ā€œconspiracy theoryā€ was coined, but it was certainly popularized by the CIA when too many people started to figure out that Oswald didnā€™t shoot Kennedy (or officer Tippit) - ā€œiā€™m just a patsyā€ he said, and it turns out he was correct

conspiracies happen everywhere every day any time multiple people conspire to do something - the term has been demonized, not only by the CIA, but by the mainstream media as well

the authorities do not want critical thinkers exposing their crimes

the agenda for the video is made obvious with one of the opening statements, ā€œwhen we donā€™t trust the institutions and we donā€™t trust our information sources, what does that mean for democracy?ā€

in other words, donā€™t question authority

given the track record of the so-called authorities, the idea is repulsive

next, Mike Shermer makes his first appearance - this piece of garbage is both a lair and a coward and one of the many great examples of that is David Coleā€™s presentation at a 1994 IHR conference where Cole details his interaction with Shermer regarding Coleā€™s appearance on the Phil Donahue Show in '94

David ColeĀ“s IHR convention 1994

i have to work today so i donā€™t have the time to comment further at the moment, but iā€™ll write more later - in the mean time, and given that this post is in the Critical Thinking forum, i highly suggest considering what Corbett has to say regarding conspiracies:

https://www.corbettreport.com/?s=conspiracy

so, letā€™s have a look at some conspiracy theories that turned out to be conspiracy factsā€¦

1. the CIA and drug trafficking

since itā€™s inception the CIA has, at the very least, facilitated drug trafficking - this came to a very public head when John Deutch, former director of the CIA, addressed a pile of very angry parents at an LA California school in regard to the crack cocaine epidemic

this was part of the Iran-Contra affair and in '96 was blown wide open in the ā€œDark Allianceā€ series of articles by Gary Webb, an investigative journalist who worked for the San Jose Mercury News

Gary lost everything as a result and thus shot himself twice in the head (the 1st bullet ricocheted off the side of his skull forcing him to make a second attempt)

CIA drug trafficking - study resources

Geopolitics, profit, and poppies: how the CIA turned Afghanistan into a failed narco-state | MR Online

A Conspiracy Theory that became a ā€œConspiracy Factā€: The CIA, Afghanistanā€™s Poppy Fields and Americaā€™s Growing Heroin Epidemic | The Liberty Beacon

2. the Gulf of Tonkin incident

this was an alleged attack by an NVA torpedo boat upon the USS Maddox - the incident was used to garner support for the unpopular non-war war in Vietnam (the US never officially declared a state of war)

the incident was a classic false-flag in that no attack actually took place according to witness and the evidence - this was partially admitted in CIA declassified documents around 2005, but also by several witnesses on the boats including a sonar operator who saw nothing on his scope

the cost: 63,000 Americans as i recall and an untold number of Vietnamese men, woman and children

3. the CIA ā€œheart attackā€ gun

yes, the CIA has a pistol that shoots frozen poison darts - the weapon was displayed and described during the Church hearings

The CIAā€™s Assassination Chemical Weapon - Secret Heart Attack Gun - Senate Testimony (1975)

4. CIA embedded in mainstream media

Operation Mockingbird was admitted to by the CIA, again during the Church hearings

Project MOCKINGBIRD

Operation Mockingbird, CIA Media Control Program

Project MONARCH, Satanism and Child Sexual Abuse

5. Israelā€™s involvement in the JFK assassination

"Several high-level military officers believed that the killing of JFK was in fact a coup dā€™Ć©tat carried out by elements of the CIA working with the Israeli Mossad. Kennedy was attempting to halt the development of nuclear weapons by the Israelis, while simultaneously planning to disband the CIA and disengage our military troops from the Indo-China area. (Read Final Judgment by Michael Collins Piper for more details.)" ā€“ Colonel Donn De Grand Pre, former high-ranking official in the Pentagon, in Barbarians Inside the Gates - The Black Book of Bolshevism by Colonel Donn De Grand Pre (source)

"It is interesting ā€“ but not surprising ā€“ to note that in all the words written and uttered about the Kennedy assassination, Israelā€™s intelligence agency, the Mossad, has never been mentioned. And yet a Mossad motive is obvious." ā€“ Former Congressman, Rep. Paul Findley in The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, Mar. 1992, p. 26 (source)

most people arenā€™t aware of the behind-the-scene battle Kennedy was fighting with David Ben-Gurion, Israelā€™s first PM - Kennedy (who never tried to end the private federal reserve banking system as many seem to believe) tried to do two very important things: 1) he tried to force the Jewish lobbies in the US, now under the umbrella of AIPAC, to register as a foreign agent which it is legally required to do, which would have curbed Israelā€™s influence in US politics - to this day AIPAC has never registered

ā€¦and 2), he tried to force Ben-Gurion to open the Dimona plant to nuclear weapon inspections which Ben-Gurion absolutely refused to do (Israel was using Dimona to build undeclared nuclear weapons which, even today, it has never formerly acknowledged) - Ben-Gurion resigned shortly before triggers were pulled in Dallas

few people seem to be aware that the second house select committee on assassinations concluded that the assassination was likely a conspiracy

Mike Piper provides the meticulously documented evidence for Israelā€™s role in the assassination in his book, Final Judgment: The Missing Link In The John F. Kennedy Assassination Conspiracy

who actually planned the assassination, i donā€™t know, but it sure as hell was not Oswald who, according to the forensic evidence (paraffin and fingerprint testing by the Dallas PD, witnesses, timing, etc.), never fired a weapon on 22-Nov-1963

JFK Assassination ā€“ The Israeli Connection ā€“ 12Bytes.org

ā€˜Who Ordered the Hit on JFK?ā€™ ā€“ Johnny Gat (video) ā€“ 12Bytes.org

Did Israel Kill Both Kennedy Brothers?

several further resources can be found here: Israel, JFK and the bomb: The rest of the story on the assassination of John F. Kennedy

6. James Earl Ray didnā€™t kill Martin King

like Oswald, Ray too was a patsy - the go-to guy for the evidence is Dr. William Pepper who spent 40 years investigating and writing books on the assassination

7. Sirhan Sirhan didnā€™t kill Bobby Kennedy

thereā€™s some convincing evidence that Sirhan was a Manchurian Candidate, but regardless, the official story falls to pieces utterly and completely when the evidence is examined (witnesses, positions, number of bullets fired, ā€œmissingā€ evidence, knowledge of the exit route change which Sirhan couldnā€™t have known, etc., etc., etc.) - the shooter was likely Thane Eugene Cesar who was Bobbyā€™s body guard - his gun was never tested even though witnesses saw him draw it and he later ā€œlostā€ or sold it as i recall

The Assassination of Robert F. Kennedy and ā€œThe Polka-dot Fileā€

Thane Eugene Cesar: RFK Jr. Calls Him Possible Assassin

Robert F Kennedy was assassinated by Thane Eugene Cesar, declares RFK Jr, who says it was the security guard who fatally shot his father from behind after planning the murder with Sirhan Sirhan

[6] The Manchurian Candidate ā€“ Transcript

The assassination of Bobby Kennedy: Was Sirhan Sirhan hypnotized to be the fall guy? - The Washington Post

8. MK-ULTRA - CIA mind control program

this is common knowledge and admitted by the CIA

MK/ULTRA | CIA FOIA (foia.cia.gov)

MK-ULTRA/MIND CONTROL EXPERIMENTS | CIA FOIA (foia.cia.gov)

MK-ULTRA/MIND CONTROL EXPERIMENTS | CIA FOIA (foia.cia.gov)

MK-Ultra - HISTORY

9. the Israeli-9/11 connection

Israel has always been a terrorist state and, once again, its fingerprints are all over 9/11 ā€“ from ā€œLuckyā€ Larry Silverstein to the ā€œ5 dancing Israeliā€™sā€ to the Fox News special about Israeli spying in and on the U.S. which aired just once before being scrubbed from its website

the Jewish people are often the co-victims of Israels terrorist activities

there are way too many resources to list (do your own research), so iā€™ll pick the one that many find to be the most damaging and the easiest to prove - 5 Israeliā€™s, at least 4 of which were known Mossad, who set up on a roof top before the first plane strike to, in their own words, ā€œdocument the eventā€

9/11 and the ā€˜Dancing Israelisā€™ ā€“ 12Bytes.org

9/11 Suspects: Dancing Israelis - The Corbett Report

other places to look are ANC Report run by Ryan Dawson, an excellent and thorough researcher and activist living in Japan - i would particularly recommend his documentary, The Empire Unmasked

also Christopher Bollyn has done much work on the subject

10. Pizzagate

Pizzagate began as an alleged conspiracy of pedophilia taking place in a Washington DC pizza restaurant (Comet Ping Pong) involving the government officials and the Washington elite

the allegation is a half-truth in that, yes, James Alefantis and others implicated are either known, or suspected pedophiles, however the well was poisoned (ā€œpoisoning the wellā€ is a tactic used by the CIA) very early on with people stating that kids were being tortured and raped in satanic rituals in the the basement of Comet Ping Pong, underground tunnels, and so on

what Pizzagate was really about, and what the obedient mainstream media avoided at all cost, is the fact that satanic ritual abuse of children, including snuff films, blood and urine drinking, torture, rape, ā€œspirit cookingā€, etc., is a very real and wide-spread phenomena and that it indeed involves the Washington elite as well as many others around the world

spirit cooking:

a few pix from John Podestaā€™s home:

Artwork by John Podestaā€™s favorite Pedophile artist.

investigative journalist Derrick Broze is one of many who have done extensive work in this area

Pizzagate facts exposed by Ben Swann - YouTube

Conspiracy Of Silence [Banned leaked documentary]

Utah Ritualized Sexual Abuse Investigation: Is There a History of Ritual Abuse in Utah?

Police Documents Reveal 30 Year Cover-Up of Child Sex Abuse ā€“ The Conscious Resistance Network

Who Will Find What The Finders Hide? (Full Documentary) ā€“ The Conscious Resistance Network

The Finders: CIA Ties to Child Sex Cult Obscured as Coverage Goes from Sensationalism to Silence

FBI Agent-Turned-Whistleblower Jane Turner on Child Sex Abuse Cases - Rolling Stone

Rabbit Hole: A Satanic Ritual Abuse Survivorā€™s Story ā€“ The Millennium Report

i was going to quit at 10, but iā€™ll throw in a bonusā€¦

11. ā€œmurder on the tracksā€

on 23-Aug-87 the dismembered bodies of two kids, 16 yr. old Don Henry and 17 yr. old Kevin Ives, were found on the rail road tracks in Alexander, Arkansas

the completely corrupt coroner, Fahmy Malak, decided it was suicide, then changed the verdict to THC overdose when it was posited that the public wouldnā€™t swallow ā€œsuicideā€

Dr. Malak once determined that a man who had his head cut off had died of a stomach ulcer and that his dog ate his head - after the head was later found, he commented that the dog must have regurgitated it

some people in Alexander were pissed off because planes were flying 100 ft. above the tracks at night with their lights off - they were dropping packages of drugs and the boys were in the area of the drops that night when they were spotted by a group of 5 men on the tracks who were apparently looking for the drug drop

after someone fired a shot (one boy had a 22 cal. rifle) the boys eventually ran from the men to a parking lot where 2 cops, Kirk Lane and Jay Campbell, showed up and beat the living hell out of them according to at least 2 witnesses, possibly killing them, and then they returned the boys to the men on the tracks who laid out the bodies on the tracks and covered them with a tarp, likely to make the conductor of the 1+ mile long train think that the wind had blown a tarp on to the tracks - the tarp was not covering the heads of the boys at the time however and so the conductor engaged the breaks but could not stop in time

one of the 5 men, Dan Harmon, would later have himself appointed by a corrupt judge, Cole, as the prosecutor - Harmon would later be arrested several times and spend several years in the slammer for drug charges, extortion, racketeering and beating his wife

Bill Clinton was the governor of Arkansas at the time and both he and Hillary, through her law firm, are intimately tied to Mena Arkansas where the CIA and Barry Seal were flying in drugs and flying out weapons to the Contraā€™s

welcome to ā€œThe Clinton Body Countā€

between the CIA, FBI and DHS, there are somewhere around 10,000 documents and the ones they released are heavily redacted

so 2 kids smoke 20 joints, according the coroner, and decide to take a nap on the rail road tracks and get run over by a mile long train that they never heard coming, but the 3-letter agencies have 10,000 documents on the case?

there are 6 deaths and about a dozen law enforcement officials who either played an active part in the murders or worked to cover them up yet no one has ever been held accountable for the murders

Murder On The Tracks - The Story of Kevin Ives and Don Henry - YouTube

Carnage On ice

the evidence is here: ID Files ā€“ The train deaths

LINDA IVES PLAINTIFF v. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

the defendants included the following:

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY,
DEFENSE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY,
DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE,
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY,
DRUG ENFORCEMENT ADMINISTRATION,
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION,
UNITED STATES ATTORNEYā€™S OFFICE,